Monday, January 14, 2008

A nut where?

Don't you just love it when you step back and look at yourself in "one of those" moments with your kids? I'm standing in the kitchen cleaning up after our fabulous, nutritious dinner, courtesy of Papa John's, when all of a sudden Ryan erupts from the other side of the room..."MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, MOMMY, GET IT OUT, GET IT OUT QUICK!". Okay, you would think that I might have gone to him a bit quicker than a regular-old-stroll-through-the-park pace, but I've had kids long enough to know better. I didn't smell smoke and the dog was in plain sight so how bad could it be? When he comes in my view, I see his contorted little body in the floor, one-piece pj's unzipped, and both hands firmly dug down as deeply as he could have possibly gotten them, moving about wildly. "What the heck is wrong?" I ask. "Get the nut out of here" he exclaims. Nut? He's thrashing around like he's plugged into an outlet and being shocked repeatedly.

So I pull his hands out and promptly stick mine in. That's when I saw myself from the other side of the front windows of our house. Oh, please don't let the CPS people drive by right now. How weird does this look? Anyway, I search to no avail...no nut. I asked him why he put a nut in his pj's...he replied "I didn't. It just got in there all by itself". Well naturally. Nuts have a tendency to do that sort of thing. He seems to buy my explanation that "it just got OUT all by itself", so back to the kitchen.

Five minutes later, here we go again. So now I'm done with this chapter of the day and I pull him out of the pj's entirely. Going on a nut hunt. At the very tippy toe of the pj's I finally find it. I have absolutely no idea what it is...sorta looks like some clear, shiny bead that fell off one of the 25,000 Christmas decorations I recently sent back to the basement. Ryan gets his face about 1/2 inch away from it and says "OOOOHHHHH, it's a jewel. Do you love it?".

Oh yes. I love the nut/jewel/choking hazard for your brother to eat that I just retrieved from your pj's.

:)

3 comments:

Jacolyn said...

Of course nuts jump...however in our house Cheerios and Teddy Grahams jump all over the place and raisins multiply and end of everywhere. It's crazy.

Jacolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ok, Kelly, you have GOT to get this stuff published! Bri had told me to read "the nut one" because it was hilarious, and of course, she was right! But you have a real knack for story telling that should be shared for money!!
Nurse/Chef/Author K. Lambert!